You may wish to sell or give your PS4 as a gift. Or perhaps the former console-sharing companion no longer plays. In any scenario, you might need to erase your account permanently from the PlayStation Network or from the device.
You can follow the instructions in this article to delete an account from your PS4. If you’ve made the decision to stop using the PlayStation Network, we’ll also go over how to do so permanently. Learn more by continuing to read.
How to Remove an Account From a PS4
All the gaming statistics, images, and associated accomplishments will also be destroyed when you cancel an account from your PS4. This applies to all licenses obtained using that account, barring use by another user on the same device. The good news is that the procedure will allow for additional material and games.
Follow these procedures to delete your user profile or someone else’s from your PS4:
- Log into your primary PS4 account.
- Open “Settings.”
- Expand the “Login Settings” menu.
- From the options, choose “User management.”
- Select “Delete user.”
- Confirm the action by pressing “Delete.”
How to Deactivate Your Primary Account From PS4
You might choose to delete your primary account if you want to give your PS4 to someone else or begin using your new PS5. How to do it is as follows:
- Go to your primary PS4 account.
- Navigate to “Settings.”
- Go to “Account Management” then “Activate as Your Primary PS4.”
- From the options, select “Deactivate” and then choose “Yes.”
How to Permanently Delete Your PlayStation Network User Account
The aforementioned technique merely purges the user data from a specific PlayStation console. The user will still be accessible on other PS4 gadgets, though. You must sign into your PlayStation Network account, get in touch with customer support, and request that your account be permanently deleted in order to permanently delete a PS4 account. Here is a description of the steps in detail:
- Go to your PS4 and navigate to “Account & Security.”
- Select “Change Online ID & other account questions” from the options.
- Navigate to “Need to contact us?” and in the chat box, fill in the required information along with your account’s ID.
- Request a chat and ask the team to delete your account.
Permanently deleting your account on the PlayStation Network will lead to the loss of the following:
- Access to all content purchased through the account
- Access to all your active subscriptions
- Access to the funds in your PlayStation Network wallet
Refunds are extremely unlikely if you have active subscriptions or money in your account’s wallet. Additionally, you are not permitted to give another account or individual ownership of any content that was acquired using the terminated account.
How to Remove an Account That Belongs to a Family Member on PS4
To remove an account that belongs to a family member, follow these steps:
- If you haven’t already, sign in to your PlayStation Network account.
- Go to “Parental Controls/Family Management.”
- Choose “Family Management.”
- Under “Family Members,” select the profile of the family member you want to delete.
- Click on “Delete User Profile.”
How to Factory Reset Your PS4
When you perform a factory reset on your PlayStation 4, all the data on the hard drive is erased, making it useful if you need to remove all of your PS4’s users. Although the feature is great if you want to start over, it can be harmful because deleted data cannot be recovered.
Follow these steps to reset your PS4 to factory settings:
- On your PS4, go to “Settings.”
- Scroll down and choose “Initialization.”
- Select “Initialize PS4.”
- Click on “Full” to safely delete all the data from your PS4. Alternatively, choose the “Quick” option for a faster but less secure deletion process.
- Press the “X” to proceed.
Please take note that utilizing the “Full” option to reset your PS4 is strongly advised. Since it is nearly impossible for someone to recover your deleted data, it is more secure. Even though the procedure can take up to a few hours, it is ultimately worthwhile.
The “Quick” option, on the other hand, is quick but less secure. For instance, it is possible to retrieve all erased data using specialized software. Use this option only if you are certain that the data on the device is not crucial and won’t put you in danger if someone else gets a hold of it.
When you use the factory reset feature on your PlayStation, all of your settings, game statistics, achievements, and other crucial data are permanently deleted.